HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Maddog10
Fork Horn

I just posted a simple question to get an idea of how others felt when killing a deer. Whether they shared the same feelings as I and in the midst of their excitement, did feel a touch of sadness (not remorse or regret) for taking the life of one of their favorite creatures, or if they could do with no sympathy at all. I think the "If you don't feel sad you are calloused/have something wrong with you" theory is completely untrue. I can understand that mindset, i just don't share it. I mean after all, you did set out to kill a deer so why should you feel sad when you accomplish your goal? That makes sense to me. It's just not how things work for me individually.

On the other hand, because me and a few of the others DO have a soft spot for these creatures, I don't think that makes us any less of a "man" than the guys who don't. I don't think we are the reason that "this country has gone downhill" or that we are mentally weak. Like all of you, when I start walking to the stand I go with a mindset that I want to kill a deer. If I accomplish this goal I am happy, especially if it is a clean and ethical kill. If the deer suffers then I am still happy that I accomplished my goal, but it does make me feel slightly saddened that I didn't make a better shot and finish the kill more quickly/painlessly.

I feel like my question has been taken out of context. If you can watch a deer die with no feelings other than joy, then that is great. Do I think it makes you more manly or "tough?" No.... Same with the softies. Because you feel that way I don't think you should be classified as weak. In closing, I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone via a message board, and neither should anyone else. I was just asking this question to get an idea of how most people felt when harvesting an animal.... Enough with the tough guy internet fights.