HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Eating Size Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
lovethebigguns
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by deerhunt3r94
ive have always been told/heard/read thats the younger the deer, the better the meat in, so technically a fawn would be the best deer to eat, and i have also heard that the older deer, like ones that make to 6+ years old, there meat starts getting real tough
That's definitely my experience as well and do my own processing and I cook A LOT of deer meat.

Some may disagree with this tactic, but I try really hard in early bow season to take a yearling just for the tender roasts, steaks and of course back straps. Cook a roast from a yearling in the croc pot all day with some taters and carrots and you will have to use a spoon to get that meat out of there!!!

Then if I am lucky enough to take a nice big doe later I will grind the entire deer up (minus backstraps) into burger.

For the most part, I'm sure that most of us have the ultimate goal in mind of taking a nice big fat-necked buck during the rut.
Again from over 20 years of experience, that will be the worst, stickin-ist meat you have ever eaten! We will still eat it, but I will typically use that meat for summer sausage, jerky and for recipies where there are enough spices to cover up the taste like chili and things of that nature.

Hope that helps!