HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New and saying Hi
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
minnbowhunter
Spike

Default New and saying Hi

New here, new to hunting also....

I've always wanted to bowhunt, but til recently never found anyone who was willing to teach me. Lots that wanted to talk about it but none willing to actually show up if ya know what I mean. The guy I am going with has been hunting since forever, so I have a good teacher!

So anyway, I have access to about 20 acres in the suburbs of the Twin Cities, MN that is LOADED with deer. We went out last week and scouted around, picked out spots for treestands, etc....

Yesterday, we went back out and hung a couple stands and today I went back out and finished clearing limbs in the way, etc....

Also, today we went to the bow range and tuned up my bow and got it sighted in perfectly at 20 yards. Wouldda done 10 as well, but ran out of time. At this point in the game, and given the location of my stand, I doubt I will sight in any further than 20 yards. I was hitting the center pretty reliably at 20 on the range, but to be honest with myself I doubt I would attempt a shot any further than that until I get a LOT more time to practice.

It will probably be next week before we have any time to get out, so I should be able to get a lot of range time in to get more comfortable before I actually climb the tree and have something brown to shoot at. Which is good- because the single biggest concern I have is not being able to make a good shot that will kill quickly.

So anyway, that's my story for now. I have been reading the forums for about 2 hours now and would probably stay up the rest of the night if I didn't have any discipline LOL!

Of course I am here to learn, so if anyone has any "must-read" threads they wanna share, or advice for a new guy, please feel free to post away!