HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time in a Climber..Gulp
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 AM
kldad06
Fork Horn

im guessing most of you that use your climber have pine trees? Where I am from there are no trees to use it. Which makes for some pretty big problems after purchasing them. My buddy and I got the bright idea that we would each buy one and use it on some ash trees where we hunt. We never really practiced with them but maybe a couple feet off the ground. We live in little blackjack oak country. Anyway we both head out towards the woods with our climbers on our backs, looked like a lone wolf commercial. We both decide where we were going to go up and they were about 100 yds apart on an old logging road. After about 30 min of making it about 5 feet up and then climbing back down, I decide that I don't know what I am doing and this thing is going on craigslist. I could not keep it level. Once I made it up about 5-6 ft it will be leaning so bad. Anyway I crawl down and decide I don't want to screw up my buddies hunt so I just creep back out to the logging road and sit behind a log jam. After about 10 min I hear something coming. I mean it is that sound you just know is a good one. When finally I start to see movement I realize its my buddy! He had done the same thing. I finally get his attention as he is staring up in the trees looking for me. He came and sat by me and we just were rolling. We finally came to the realization that ash trees just don't work. Bark is too hard and there is too much difference in circumference in the trees. But we did figure out they can be used in pine trees. But we still laugh about it to this day.