HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time in a Climber..Gulp
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 AM
DannyD
Nontypical Buck

Default First Time in a Climber..Gulp

Although I've been hunting for years, it has always been on the ground.
Well, i finally bought a climber and used it this weekend.

Although i practiced using it right next to the ground over the past week, this was my first ascent.

First thing I learned was that you have to trust the actual mechanics of the stand. I mean everything is so loose except when you put your weight on it correctly. Just allowing myself to trust that was nerve-racking to say the least.

Here's a fun fact... I can scream like a little 5 year old girl when the upper part doesn't' actually grab the tree and slips down about 4 inches when you have your weight on it.

Here's another fun fact... My heart can beat at probably 250 BPM when the bottom piece actually falls away when climbing. It was tied to the top piece but pulling it back up was a difficult maneuver.

Once i got to my desired height (16') I had a strong desire to now fasten, bolt, secure the thing to the tree. But nooooooo, you have to just sit there and trust that it's all gonna hold.

I'm sure i'll get used to all this but it certainly was a new experience and quite frankly once i got up there, i wondered why i had never done this before. You can see soooo much more