HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever have those days where you feel like deer are myth?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:36 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever have those days where you feel like deer are myth?

Opening day of ML season was yesterday, and I didn't see squat. I heard some deer before daylight, but that didn't help me. It was somewhat windy, but not terrible, so I did a TON of still hunting. Well, I still-hunted, would sit down for a 30-45 minutes here and there, then still-hunt some more, and sometimes just move relatively quickly (compared to my still-hunting pace) and I didn't see a single deer (covered a LOT of ground). At one point, I would have been happy to just kick something up...not so I could take a shot, just so I could see that they DO exist.

I did have my morning interrupted by a trespassing slob hunter moving thru the woods with a SHOTGUN trying to kick up deer, yelling and gurgling. He sounded nasty in his tonality, like he was just out to kill something. I wasn't wearing blaze, so I tucked behind a tree and stayed motionless. I was not about to confront him and be mistaken for an animal.

In the afternoon, I got chased be a couple of neighboring dogs, howling all the way. They got w/i 10 feet and decided they didn't want any.

In the evening, a squirrel saw me and decided to screech at me for an hour, moving from limb to limb, just above my head. He was about to die.

It makes me feel better to think those were contributing factors.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 10-31-2010 at 05:55 AM.