HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Run in with a Rancher Today
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

I don't know I don't know what to think of this.The fact is I know where I am at all times and I know the laws inside out and I provide back up to prove it. It began when I was 10 and taking my CORE. During the practical exam of the test my instructor asked me what I do when I want to cross a fence. My answer. Am I allowed to hunt the property on the other side of the fence.Fences are often boundaries and I want to know and I want permission. The Instructor was floored. Nobody in his years ever ever responded that way. When he said yes I showed him how to safely unload and cross.Every year I'm down at the ministry of lands and titles getting the most current info.I know his land is private I know the boundaries. It's on my GPS downloaded the most current info that was only one month old.It wasn't for sale and won't be leased made sure. And the thing that frustrates me the most is I help these people more than they know. I'm lucky that I don't need to ask to hunt land but I do take advantage of private. One can go to any land titles crossreference with google earth and refer to you hunting map regs and find loop
holes every where. 3 years ago I went on Cadastre, Google Earth,
and the Ministry of Kand and Titles, and found out that there was
legal crown land that could be hunted between 2 private properties.
Very very few people new this besides me, maybe a handleful the
landowners and that's about it. It was about a hundred meters off the
highway a small area but deep gully steep hillside lots rimrock between two pieces of private property. Lots of deer are seen but
3years ago it housed 19 bucks over the spring and summer.The deer considered it a was a safe zone although it was on legal huntable
land. I knew about it, but never ever shot that area cause I personally considered it an unsafe place to shoot.But because this road is not maintained by the Provincial Government of Highways or
City, and the land on both sides of the highwayswhere private the
Regs stated that you could shoot right off the main highway so long
as you where off the paved surface.The ditch sufficed.Lots were shot
this way, some legally most not but regardless after I saw all these
bucks in the summer I knew that these Ranchers would have a
problem when the season started if people found out it was crown
land. During a Wildlife Federation meeting I brought this concern up
to members and together we changed the law about shooting off the highway, to save people driving down the highway the Ranchers themselves and their families and domestic animals before a potentially serious problem occured. Managed to get it done before
the season started.A manadatiry min legal shooting distance was set
on this highway for strectch of 6 km, to include this piece of land and
some others that where found later.I don't like being lied to. I was
well within my legal right, to be where I was or anybody else for that
matter. I'm sure he is the minority of the Ranching community, but it
gets me wondering just to what lenghts some people really really go
when it comes to protection of area that isn't even theirs and greed.
It's Sad.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-30-2010 at 08:28 PM.