HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TEAM 19- Brotherhood of the Bow
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Talondale
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the boy kreagerj!

Sorry to hear about it WMH but glad they found your rack.

Just got back in from the woods. I have 60 acres I can hunt directly behind work and I went out at lunch to hang a stand for a hunt this evening. I haven't hunted here this year yet. The wind was unusually out of the NE and I decided to setup off a corner with the wind in my favor. As I approached the woods edge I saw a deer jump up and run. Drats. I bumped a deer right where I was heading. Wait... this deer is running TOWARDS me. She gets to the edge of the woods and hits the brakes. I'm standing in a field with a stand on my back and a pack and quiver slung over my shoulder. We do a stand off for a few minutes and then the wind changes 70* and she runs back into the wood and then parallel the edge. She then turns like she's going to still try to enter the field through a finger to my right. She stops again for a while. Eventually she heads back into the woods. I think to my self; "She's being chased if she was running towards me." But I couldn't see any other deer. I change my course to better accomadate the new wind direction and after another 80 yards I notice a "hump" out of place inside the woods 40 yards. I drop to my knee and draw an arrow and slide my pack off my arm. The "hump" raises his head and it's a buck, a nice buck. Probably 17" inside and decent tines. A 100-110" class buck. Good enough in my book. He's a little out of my range, head-on, and some saplings all combine to make a shot impossible. He notices me and starts moving his head side to side. Wind is in my favor but being in the open is not. I avoid directly looking at him. Eventually he turns and heads the same direction as the doe.

Sorry to disappoint you all with no hero pic but for a quick jaunt during lunch it was pretty exciting. Hopefully the chasing will continue this evening.

Last edited by Talondale; 11-24-2010 at 06:20 AM.