HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - There Goes My Bow Season
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
BillBrasky
Fork Horn

Well I went to the sports medicine people on campus yesterday and after the doctor playing with my arm for a little bit they told me I am having "recurring subluxations" which means my arm has a habit of falling out of place, given the right position and movement. The bad news is that she said she needed to refer me to an orthopoedic surgeon for an MRI and, most likely surgery.

The good news is that, since this wear and tear has been going on for a while, it doesn't look like I can do any more harm than what has already been done as long as I am careful about what my body position is when I draw back on my bow and if I can wrap my shoulder to have added support in the rear. She also said it wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce my draw weight. But then again, this was all speculation and still I need to wait for the MRI to see exactly what kind of damage I have done. She also said, if the surgeon does clear me to hunt for the remainder of the season switch to a smaller caliber rifle (I shoot a .308) and a smaller bird gun (which may give me a good excuse to borrow a friend's 20 ga browning silver instead of my 12 ga mossberg pump). But in both situations I would still have to wrap my shoulder and pad my vest.

So I guess now it's a "wait and see what the scans say" kind of situation--with a little luck I'll be in the woods next weekend, and healed and back in form for the next season. Thanks again for all the support! I'll keep you updated on the progress.