HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Safety harness question.
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Walks on chips
Asked this in the gear forum and no reply so i'll try here.Haven't hunter from a stand but 3-4 times in 20yrs.I'm pretty sure it is best to wear your harness under your coat,correct?
However you wear it (I wear mine over) it's most important that the safety vest to tree tether is adjusted correctly. SHORT. So short in fact that if you happen to slip you can still get back onto your stand or, at worse, the ladder. People have been saved from hitting the ground but still perished from suspension asphyxiation when not being able to get their body weight off the straps across their femoral arteries.
That prevents the considerable blood volume of the legs from retuning to the heart causing death in about a half hour.
In addition to the harness, one should use a safety line when ascending and descending as that's when most falls occur.

PS been visiting a friend convalescing in a nursing home since he fell while installing a stand in mid September. He's looking forward to Nov 10, the next time his doc will determine if he can go home.

Last edited by Cossack; 10-27-2010 at 05:05 PM.