HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Not passing threw....Any thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lovethebigguns
Thunder, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread! I just thought it was the right time and place to ask. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question guys. What you are saying makes sense. And yes Ranger I did watch all the videos and I'll admit, I was perplexed by the lack of penetration. They all really looked like good shots.

Scottie,
In all honesty, you'd probably get BETTER performance out of a 400 grain arrow than the 300'ish because you have momentum on your side. If you can launch a 400gr arrow 290+ which you can if you're getting 325 out of the arrow you mention above, Rage, Slick Trick, Muzzy, or whatever BH you like should do the job if you put the arrow where it belongs, but we cannot deny that in the "independent tests," some BH's penetrate better than others, and RAGE is one of the ones that hasn't penetrated well, nor has it been very durable.

I just now watched the videos, and I was quite surpised at the very poor penetration that those 4 hunters got. Now I don't know how much energy they had in their set-ups, but that is part of the argument here that low energy set-ups really shouldn't be shooting the Rage BH's because they DO REQUIRE A LOT OF ENERGY to achieve pass-throughs. The one hunter was pretty honest and upfront about his feelings that the BH didn't do as well as he hoped for. I shot Wasp Jak-Hammers in a 1.75" for years, and passed through all but one animal, and that one I hit bad, REAL bad, but it still died in 75yds. I switched because I wanted something that was MORE DURABLE, and as a result more economical. Not that BH's are that big a part of my budget, but I wanted something that I could shoot more than a couple animals with before a ferule would be bent or blades would need replaced whatever. What I shoot now, I can sharpen, and re-use time after time, and they shoot right with my FP's AND do a great job penetrating. Mot of my set-ups have had over 70ft/# of KE with arrows between 415-465grains.