HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - scent free not so scent free
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Kybuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Ky- I know and have hunted the exact kind of conditions you are describing. Mountains. Everybody always assumes that Kansas is wide open prairie and that is the case in the western part of the state. Where I live here in the eastern part of the state it is timber, woods, thick brush and flint hills. No matter where I hunt in the world the conditions and tactics change depending on weapon (rifle, bow, spear, muzzleloader, ect.) and game animal, but the basics never do: Know the habits of your game and where they are right now. Play the wind. If you know their habits you can-- even in swirling wind set up downwind to your advantage. Swirling wind confuses deer too. I understand what you are saying. I get busted too from time to time. I had a doe an fawn coming in and bedding about 60 yards from my blind a couple of years ago and they would bust me coming in every morning. I had to change my tactics.. stop going to that blind and set up down wind from them in a tree. But I didn't try to spray this and that on me and my gear. You can do that if you want to but changing your tactics will benefit you more.
Live it up! Doug
I know the habit of deer. However, I have two ways into my hunting area. There is only so much you can do with that. Its a small thick bedding area on my aunts farm and I don't have the large tracts of land to move a a large distance. I will often not hunt this place for a week or more waiting for the right wind. Like I said...not everyone has the same circumstance.