HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team #12 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
John Deer
Nontypical Buck

That's a nice buck! Congratulations. I got caught off guard Sunday evening by a real nice 10 point. I was going to setup on the ground under a red oak tree and watch an overgrown field that the deer have been bedding in and try to catch a buck moving from the field to the oak flat thats on the east side of it to feed just before dark. I was just getting setup at around 4:30ish and not expecting to see anything till closer to dark but as i was breaking a few small limbs off the oak so i could see out and shoot without them being in the way I look up and see this buck running right at me from out in the field. By the time I saw him he was only about 40 yards away and i had to grab my muzzleloader and try to get him to stop. I bleated 4 or 5 times at him to try to stop him but he kept running. He jumped a fenced behind me and got about 40 yards past me before I could get him in the scope. He was in some brush but I had a shot momentarily and I took it. After the smoke cleared I could see him bound a few more feet then stop broadside in a little opening. He stood there for about 30 seconds as I frantically tried to get reloaded. Before I could he trotted off into the draw behind him. I waited a few minutes and tried to collect my thoughts before I walked over and looked for blood or hair. After a thorough search I found nothing. Man, I was shook up. I got a good look at his rack since he ran about 15 yards away from me and he's a nice 10. It all happened so fast and I keep replaying it over in my mind. With rifle he'd have been dead because I could have had a follow up shot when he was standing there broadside. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish i would have waited instead of shooting while he was moving. I guess I'll remember that if something like this ever happens again.