View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wolf killer View Post
I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.
If that's all it is, you'll probably find yourself back in the woods sooner than you think, but it may ultimately relate back to the reason you started hunting in the first place.

It seems I hear this kind of thing more regularly from guys whose attraction to hunting was and has always been "the trophy." The peripherals matter little to them. I'll come home with landscape photos, even photos of a few LIVE animals, they're only taking trophy shots of themselves and dead animals to post on the internet. It's trophy or nothing. And more often than not, they seem to end up selling off and getting into something else.

I went through something similar a few years ago. I'd taken a couple of nice bucks and bulls, but none spectacular. Not especially impressed with some of the people I hunted with either, I gave up for a year. In that year, I wandered back to what attracted me to the hunt in the first place - family activity, being in the woods and "tuned in" to them. Not at all feeling like I HAD to come home with a trophy every season. The memories made were more valuable.

Along the way, I also picked up pheasant hunting. There's really no such thing as a "trophy" bird, and it's hardly a big deal whether you bag out or not. I don't need to quarter birds to pack them out, either! I've helped teach a couple of hunter safety classes, and have had kids with us in the field lately (and not always our kids) - all of that has been particularly rewarding as well. Hunting once again proves to be something I can look forward to every year.

Good luck