HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you technical pros think?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by aread
Travis,

You've obviously put a lot of work into your laser jig and have a pretty good tool. But for me it's a tool that solves a problem I don't have and have never had. Even when I was a novice, getting a basic tune was pretty easy. Nock height and center shot (within reason) is just not that important to accurate shooting.

The only use I can think of is for the "techs" in the big box stores. The guy who was stocking the clothing aisle last week and today is working the archery department. But to use your jig, even he needs more training than he is likely to get.

I think that if I saw a tech trying to set up my bow with lasers (except the one for cam lean) I would politely ask for my bow back and find another shop.

Initial set up of nock height and centershot is just a very preliminary step and getting it precise is not as important as being sure that the overall set up is good. IMHO, the most important part of set up is getting the draw length right for the individual archer. After that getting the cams timed and centered is far more important for a novice than nock and centershot. Unfortunately, your jig doesn't help with these except possibly for cam lean.

I hate to rain on somebody's parade when they've put so much of themselves into a tool, but I don't see much of a use for it. Keep thinking like you do, you'll come up with the next big thing one of these days. Is there a way to use your lasers to more accurately adjust cam timing and synchronization?

Allen
I am going to disagree with the importance of centershot.A person will never reach their potential if their centershot isn't set correctly.This is a very important part of accuracy and tune.Try to broadhead tune a bow that doesn't have the centershot set correctly.1 thing is for sure,you will have to move the rest to center for them to tune.(if this is where you are coming from then I kind of agree) I can usually get a very good centershot by eyeball.

The other side of this is most don't understand how hard it is to consistently shoot a bow that has the arrow pointed out or in.This means you need to shoot the bow sideways to get it to hit center.This is a very difficult thing to do.I have tried it and I am a decent shot with good form,imagine a novice that doesn't know any better trying to hit accurately and his equipment is VERY UNFORGIVING.Not saying it can't be shot accurately but it is very difficult.

Then we can get into the discussion of nodes to further understand the importance of centershot.Here is what Easton has to say about it.

Last edited by TFOX; 10-25-2010 at 01:24 PM.