HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall Turkey and Deer pic. thread
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 AM
bowman15
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jerry.
I think they were both jakes. The light makes them look different colors.
I have 2 stands on 2 adjacent pieces of property. I hunted the one early and then had to leave for work. I went over to the other stand to clear some branches and get it ready for my next morning out. I only brought my bow just in case. I wasn't in the stand 10 minutes, actually getting ready to leave, when something caught my eye. It was the first of at least 20 turkeys coming through the underbrush. The whole flock passed within 15-yards of me before they got to an area where I thought I could draw and not be noticed by them all. I knew I'd spook a few of them but thought I'd get a shot at one before they all took off. I drew, shot and hit the first one (I thought) perfectly. He just walked off and all the others just started milling around trying to figure out what was happening. I reached back behind me, grabbed a second arrow and loaded it. As I drew I noticed the bird I hit had vanished so I thought it laid down somewhere in the immediate area. I took aim on the bigger bird and let go. Again, I thought it was another perfect hit, but the bird seemed unhurt. As it milled around more I noticed it stumbled a couple times. I then reached for a third arrow and it slipped and fell to the ground. I turned half-way around to watch what I was doing and grabbed my last broadhead. When I turned back to load it and draw I was surprised to see all the turkeys still standing there! None of them had taken off yet. So when the second bird was clear I shot him again, breaking it's back and dropping it on the spot. It wasn't untill I lowered my bow that the whole flock scattered. I found and followed the bloodtrail of the first bird and saw it running through the tall grass. Next time I saw it I drew and shot it a second time because I was afraid it would take flight and I'd lose it. It went about 60 yards from the first shot.

All the shots were about 25-yards or so. Except for the last shot.

Last edited by bowman15; 10-20-2010 at 02:34 AM.