HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what weirdest thing that has happen to you while hunting?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM
northms
Spike

These are some good stories.

Well I can't recall too many crazy things but I'm sure if I thought long enough I could. One night I had climbed out of my stand on the back part of our property probably about 1/2 mile from the old cabin on our property where we park at. No one else was hunting with me or on the property that night, just me. Well I had let it get absolutely pitch dark before coming down out of the stand and had forgotten my flashlight like an idiot. Luckily I knew the woods out there like the back of my hand so I wasn't worried. It is mainly fields with hardwoods mixed in. Well I'm about 500 yds from the cabin and the only thing left to navigate is about a 100 yd wide stretch of hardwoods that go straight up a hill and break out into the field with the cabin in it and truck

I started up the trail in the woods, pitch black with the trees there, and start hearing walking adjacent to me probably about 40-50yds away. I would walk 5 steps, it would walk 5 steps. Did this the whole way up the hardwoods. Really got my heart jumping for a little bit. Knew it didn't sound like a deer bc it would have run away. I have no idea what it was to this day. I did bolt a round into my gun though as I walked up the woods. It never did break out into the field after I cleared the woods so I don't know what it was. Weird.