HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just Be Polite
Thread: Just Be Polite
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
cal516
Fork Horn

Default Just Be Polite

Just wanted to share something with you that happened last night. I was hunting public land that butts up against private property. I have parked on a dirt road right down the road from a house for the past two seasons and then walk in. Well last night I got a little turned around walking back to my truck. I saw a light to a house and had a feeling it was the one I park down the road from but wanted to make sure. So I walked toward the house and the owner came out. I told him I was hunting the public land and got turned around. He said yea your truck is right up there but where you are parked is private property. I apologized and said it would not happen again and that I had figured it was ok sense the road was also butted against public land. He said he didn't mean to be an ass but when the season kicks off people trash it. I told him I understood and wouldn't park there again. I told him I was retiring from the military and that was my last night because I was moving back to Tennessee. Well turns out he works for a company that is in the town I am moving back to. He said you know I never see any trash there when you leave so it's ok to park. He has no problem. He asked if I had had any luck and we talked for a few minutes. To end my long windedness my point is we shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to private land owners. When you disrespect property they generalize all hunters and we as a whole we lose their respect.