HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody use google maps for scouting?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Colorado Cajun
Typical Buck

Google Earth, GPS, and Free software that comes with the GPS can save you TONS of time in the field if you learn how to use them all. I spend about 30 - 40 hours on the computer through the year before hunting season creating waypoints on Google Earth, using that to get the coordinates then entering them into the free GPS software to upload to my GPS.

After that I save and print the pictures off Google Earth with my waypoints on it and use that as my map. I can then navigate to any waypoint I want to. That's the best way to find all those little honey holes that you would never know was there. The only cost is a good GPS and a good topo map software. If anyone is looking for a good Colorado Topo for their Garmin, I highly recommend checking out "abovethetimber.com".

It amazes me how many people will pay $300 or more for a good GPS and then never learn how to use it. It can do alot more for you then just keeping you from getting lost.