HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good shot or Not?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 AM
BillBrasky
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vapahunter
So if a shot at a running deer is so wrong and potentially dangerous what about shots at rabbits, grouse or other moving animals. That is one and the same only the deer presents a larger target. I have shot and killed several deer that were moving, using both rifle and shotgun with shot in it. As a matter of fact both deer I killed last year were moving through the woods, one was running full bore. So again I say if you have the ability then use it. Each of us MUST hunt within our own capabiliteis and who are we to tell someone else that what works for them and is legal is wrong. How many of you have missed deer standing perfectly still? Or how many have wounded a deer you shot standing perfectly still then could not find it? So using some of the logic you post then shooting at a standing deer is bad because you take the chance of missing or otherwise crippling a deer.

Sorry guys but you are pushing an unwinnable position if you think a running shot is bad.
Comparing a rifle shot at a deer with the shotgun blast at a rabbit or bird are a completely different matter all together (i.e. it's an invalid argument). You're right in saying that we should stick to our abilities whether you're taking 20 yard shot at a moving deer or a 400 yard shot at quartering deer. I think kswild has it right that safety should be the biggest concern because a bullet doesn't just disappear when it misses the target.