HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what weirdest thing that has happen to you while hunting?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jessetjames
two years ago on a evening hunt i was sitting in my tree and all of a sudden wack!! i look up and 2ft above me sits this owl. i just sit there shaking and scared to death hopping it doesn't see me spook and start tearing the crap out of me. I was like that for 5 minutes and then it just took off and flew away. that was one scary experiance but probably something that will never happen again.
I had nearly the identical experience last year, except the owl was probably about 5 feet higher, and on an adjacent tree. I wasn't that worried about him, however...they won't hurt you so no need to worry about them attacking you. If he mistook some movement for prey, he'd quickly discover his mistake and fly away. I was more concerned about scaring him away. He kind of noticed me, but then seemed to figure I was no threat to him. We both watched the woods together like a couple of hunting buddies! He sat there for nearly 20 minutes looking for prey before flying off right before dark. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had bow hunting: two predators hunting together.