HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Can We Be Safe This Year?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

I even let this get to me. Especially after jumping a big big muley.Controlling your emotions.After shooting at an animal or just seeing one you have to calm yourself down and be responsible for calming your buddies down.Be the one to make sure everyone has got the rifles unloaded in a safe manner. And get back to reality don't allow you and your buddies to daydream about a missed opportunity. One of my cousins best friends was guiding in Northern B.C. For bear. He and his client were in the way to the hunting grounds, when a huge bear crossed the logging road. The truck stopped the client got out of the vehical in pursuit. Afterwards the client failed to unload his rifle when getting back in. The guide failed to make sure it was.When this young guide got out of the vehical to grab the gear. He grabbed the rifle from the muzzle end.With the barrel now facing this kid,he attempted to pull it onto the bench seat ,for the client, the gun discharged blowing the young guides head shear off.His name was Ryan Corbin, he was 21.Stupid stupid mistakes on both these people parts unfortunitly ended up taking a life.Step up and be one responsible to make sure everybody has
their emotions in check and make sure firearms are unloaded and properly
handled in a safe manner ,before and after and during the hunt. Don'ttrust your buddies. I consider myself a safe hunter, but my buddies still make sure I'm checked and I do the same.Bad habbitts are easy to get into and hard to break. Be aware and don't be scared of saying something reguardless of experience and age.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-17-2010 at 07:04 AM.