HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you scent proof your gear
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
jerrrrstanley
Fork Horn

I saw that eppisode of mythbusters. They had Jamie dress up in not 1 BUT 2 suits, one carbon activated, the outter rubber. Both had hoods. Before that he washed in all of the scent free products and rinsed with fresh water then sprayed with scent killer. Two people who had on their own suits dressed him and tapped up ALL zippers or seams so that Jamie didn't touch anything. Rubber boots, gloves, gas mask with carbon activated filter, EVERYTHING. Then they sprayed him down with MORE scent killing sprays and concoctions. They didn't give the dog a smell of him in the suit. It was the same shirt they had used with all the tests that had his man scent on it. It was pretty amazing! I figured for sure they would loose his trail but nope! Dog ran right to him!
That there made me a NON believer in all the scent killer hype. I agree you can tone it down some with precaution but there isn't a need to spend lots of money to do it. Clothes washed in baking soda, kept seperate from other clothes in bags or boxes. I always use something natural (pine cones or leaves) from the area im hunting in the bags or boxes. And Im not a freak about it. I havn't done any of that this year and saw deer every day I have been in the woods. I have been winded once because the stupid wind shifted 180 degrees. Stupid wind. hahahaha

Last edited by jerrrrstanley; 10-15-2010 at 02:48 PM.