HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How long of a rifle season?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default I always found that

...the length of the season depended on how many orange clad carcasses trekked the woodlands of the particular state.

If you have over 700,000 hunters in a state, they'll usually start you on a Monday, as Saturday will bring out too many varmints to shoot deer. Two weeks of gun season if you're lucky. If there were only 100,000 deer, they might give you six hours of hunting, just so the whole deer herd isn't wiped out.

In some states, with much fewer hunters, they'll have hunting from September to the end of the year. The gov. body hopes the local college teams lose early, just so the hunters will be applying there energy on sitting in a tree stand, on a Saturday afternoon. In these states, getting a deer one weekend isn't enough. By the next Saturday and even Sunday, they want you to have the processing deer fee ready, just for another deer.

In one state where I hunted, it was one deer only. Lordy was I happy to be dragging out my one deer within a hour of starting hunting. That minus ten degrees, sure made the sparce hunting opportunity, very welcomed.