HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog training for pheasant
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
mustad
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Outdoor
The purpose of skipping until the dog is close to 1 year old is not engraved in stone of course ...there are always exceptions...but rather let the pup enjoy "it's hunt". These are important steps in the pups life to becoming a good bird dog. A dog that enjoys the hunt rather than one that has been drilled into the program. SOME of us are too hungry to let a season go by...thats their decision. If my new setter (9 months old) wants to chase birds on her own and she enjoys it is MY OPINION that I will have a better bird dog next year. For me its not about the kill rather the time I spend with her...for that matter if she never turns out to be a classic thats OK too...she's my best friend.
I'm fine with most of what you are saying here, but isn't that hunting? You take the pup out in the woods. She works and searches; finds birds chases them. Great stuff. Guess what? She's going to want to go out again next week. Excellent. She goes out again and searches; finds birds and remembers "oh crap, I can't catch them, so I'll point." She points. You're 50 yards away. Her desire gets the better of her and she thinks, "Alright, I've got you now. Rushes in and the bird flies off and she chases." AWESOME. Isn't that part of hunting?

Next week comes. She's really pumped now. Ready to go out. She goes. Searchs, uses her nose; finds a bird. "ohhhhhhh crap!. I better not move. Let's see if boss might be able to help me out here." She slams on point and waits for you. You approach. Bird flushes. If you don't shoot that bird, you will regret it. This is the best lesson you'll be able to teach your pup.

The bottom line, don't get hung up on the whole don't hunt the first year thing. Get hung up on the reality that your pup will bust a lot of birds, but this is the absolute best learning experience you can give her.

That's how I do it at least. It's worked pretty well for me. Good luck.