HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nosler Ballistic Tips, Noticeable Changes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

I believe that you have to compare apples to apples and that you have to use bullets designed for harvesting big game for harvesting big game and not target bullets.

Sierra shows in their reloading manual - in big print - that the Sierra GameKing is a hunting bullet and that the Sierra MatchKing is for target practice only. It is not designed or intended to be used as a hunting bullet. Its only purpose is to fly as straight as possible and hit the paper. Once it hits the target - its job is done.

I suspect that the other bullets you are talking about falls into the same category. For the most part - all bullets that are a pointed nose design will hit the target in the exact same place out to 200 yards as long as each bullet weighs the exact same amount and has the exact same case, powder charge and primer regardless of manufacturer.

Its been my experience that the cheaper bullets actually does a better job then does a premium bullet on whitetail deer at that range due to the fact that they open up quickly, retains most of their original weight and does a lot of internal damage.

It is not the point of the bullet manufacturer to make a bullet that does not open up and penetrates the deer from one side to the other but does not do enough internal damage to stop the deer in it's tracks.
If the bullet stops on the other side of the cape - it really doesn't matter if there is a exit wound or not because the internal damage has already been done. Once a major organ is hit - the deer is not going to go very far. That puts the majority of the blame on the person pulling the trigger and not the bullet manufacturer.