HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what kind of rifle
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

there is a a ton of calibers that will suit out to 500 yrds. 3006, 270, 280 308, 7mm 08 7mm Rem the 300's .If you can handle the recoil go to the Ultra Mags. You don't them for the ranges your willing to shoot though. The .308 is inherently probably the most accurate of all calibers to the range your willing or going to shoot.I gave alot of respect for this caliber and the 7mm08. Tight tight groups little recoil
very efficient cartridge where velocity and retained energy are concerned and good quality bullets made for both. The 6.5 x 284 is an animal killer as well.I got a big Custom Rifle in a .311 CND Imperial Mag.I got into the Ultras over 10 years before companies commercialized them, and it collects dust during the season.It's a 404 Jeffrey necked to a .311 bullet. It gives very very impressive ballistics and velocity especially when Ive got a 28 inch hart barrel out to 800 plus yrds but Learned my lesson a long time ago.You don't need that much thump at something standing 50 yrds away.Nope stick to the standard common calibers, these are more than adequate for the range you want to shoot. shot placement and bullet performance is
what is gonna kill them.