HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some questions about rifles for coyote's.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Big Z
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntard
So how do the 223 and the 22-250 differ from each other in terms of range, and power, and also price of ammunition? Also the 243 and 25-06 as well?
They 223 is cheaper, assuming the same bullet/manufacturer. The 22-250 is more powerful. The range will be limited more by the rifle's and the user's abilities than the cartridge...though the 22-250s higher velocity will yield flatter trajectories and less wind drift. The 243 and 25-06 are more than capable deer cartridges, but the availability of lightweight bullets with explosive performance give them the 'crossover' name for varmints. I wouldn't have an eye on them unless you're willing to pay more for ammunition or need the extra juice for deer (I wouldn't have a problem using the 223 for deer to a reasonable range, with good bullets).

All-in-all I'd opt 223, and shoot more than less. Maybe get a nicer rifle/scope next in another caliber. The cheapy/beginner 223 will always have its place