HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - questions about muzloding?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I have sum questions about muzloding,
#1 is their a deferens in accuracy between in line or a gun that has a breech in the back like the omega In most cases there will not be a difference in the accuracy. As long as the rifles both have a good shooting load.

# 3 lets say you are hunting for two days and you shot on the firs day and than reload in the woods. Wan the day is over do you fire out that load or remove it wan you get back to the motel to clean the barrel the proper way so you are ready for the next days hunt, that choice is up to you. I person would shoot it off in the woods on the way out Now someone else might wait, pull the breech plug at the motel and push the load out and then clean the rifle. and If you have to clean it for the next day do you prefer to clean it in the field or wan you get back to the motel and what cleaning method would you prefer wan on a hunting trip? Its always easier to clean it in the motel or the house. You stand a lesser chance of loosing a part off the rifle. Plus at a dwelling you have hot water around. As to the method you clean it, it depends on the brand of powder you use. If you were shooting BlackHorn 209 then you would use a solvent to clean the barrel. If you were using Triple Seven, simple water will clean out the fouling. It if is Pyrodex, Black Powder, or APP then simple water or water and soap on patches can clean it. The main thing is after it is cleaned, be sure to dry that barrel with dry patches.

Also if not fired will moisture get in from the nipple over night or over time ?
Moisture can get into the charge. A lot depends on where you hunt, how your hunt, what the weather conditions are, and how you store the rifle. For instance, Wisconsin has wet humid cold weather for our muzzleloader season. If you bring that rifle into a warm room, the metal could condense and moisture could get into the load. If you store the rifle in the trunk of a car, it might be less prone to moisture. I personally shoot my rifle off at the end of the day and then clean the barrel that night. After all, one shot out of a rifle, and they are pretty easy to swab clean.