HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I threw all conventional wisdom out, except hunting the wind
Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Bfree
Spike

Default I threw all conventional wisdom out, except hunting the wind

Yesterday, I hunted from 6am-10am and I didn't see as much as a squirral. I got down and started working on my box stand that I had brought w/me to finish building on the spot. The stand is about 100 yds away from where my bow stand is. I didnt know how much the noises from my truck being started up several times to move my stand around, the hammering and the drill would desturb my hunting area but I did it anyways hoping I could hunt later on in the afternoon. After 3.5 hrs of this I decided to stop and take a ciesta. I was very sweaty, so I changed my shirt to a light wt black mossy oak shirt.
At about 3pm I decided to go back hunting but I needed to trim up around my bow stand some more so I used my pole saw on the lanes around my stand. I trimmed up to about 14-18 ft into the canopy but now Im all hot and sweaty again.
After trimming up, I decided what the heck I just decided to hunt anyways but I still had the wind to my face. I climbed up in the stand and was getting settled in and started looking for my bow rest and forarm gaurd, I had left them in the truck.
I get down walk to the truck get my gear and start walking back, I had some of last yrs Code Blue on me so I sprayed my pants legs and boots. In order to save a couple of steps I decided to walk pass my feeder and straight down the trail I had just cut to my stand. But I had to take a leak, so remembering what I had read on this forum I took a leak on the trail about 20 yds from my stand.
I climb back up in the stand and while getting settled in again I drop my bow off the stand. It falls about 18ft below. Im thinking great I might as well go home now. I climb down & get my bow, this time I tie it to my rope that I normally use when I climb up.
As I climb up in the stand, I start to pull my bow up and just as I reach to pull it into the stand a DOE runs right underneath me. I freeze, w/the bow dangling. She stops on the trail that I had just walked down and puts her nose down to it, walks away from me and then stops and smells where I had just peaed. She thens begins to feed behind a small group of trees. I pull my bow up and it clanks against the stand her ears twitch but continues to eat. After about 5 mins of this Ive now got my bow in hand but I cant get a shot. Something alarms her, she runs off and blows 3 times. I think great now Ive blown that.
I pick up my phone and text my wife what just happened & as Im putting my phone away she shows back up. But I still cant get a shot. In fact I never get a shot at her. But she never knew I was there.
A few minutes later a buck grunts just a few yds past where I last saw her. I grunt back and me and him grunt several times at ea. other but I never get a shot at him either.

Moral of the story: I had no camo on, I walked past the feeder w/last yrs Code Blue spayed on my boots, I pea on the ground about 5 ft from the feeder, Im sweating like a stuck pig, no gloves on to cover up my hands. So all conventional wisdom has gone out the door. My only advantage the wind.