HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - climbing stand help.
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't look like it has teeth. Some stands are more difficult to use, I think you have one.

All stands should be practiced with long before you hunt with them. The reason is to figured out how to pack and use them. Climbing a few times especially for someone who hasn't used one is asking for problems. If your stand is one of those that doesn't dig in as well as others it's pron to slip sideways when you shift your weight. You don't want to find that out at full draw. I've been in stands like that, they are not forgiving.

Take some ratchet straps and cinch the top and bottom secure to the tree, they won't move. Make sure the top and bottom are tethered together at all times. Sounds like your base could be pron to taking the day off at the base of the tree leaving you to play shimmy down. Don't loose your head if it does happen. Before it happens figure out how to use the top as a base; becareful it was made to be.

I'm pretty sure your asking for legal trouble climbing a T pole.

You know now why people go on about summits, they are not the best but they do stay put on the tree and are easy to use with a good size base. They grip so well I ground down the teeth some on mine.

Which model is it? Like to see one.