HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rutting Moon Date
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
chazspot
Nontypical Buck

So it sounds like my thoughts are validated. I as well have tried to pay attention to the "rutting moon" dates and thought it may play a major role with when it's best to be out in the woods. Problem is, like I said before, the other variables play a much bigger role in when the action is the hottest i.e. weather and shorter days. My definition of when the action is hot hence the best time to be out in the woods I guess depends on what you are after.

If you after a true hammer then besides scouting, you have to wait until the chasing has been going on for awhile by the younger bucks who go about the rut in a very juvenile manner. Usually after that I see the big boys finally getting out there and showing themselves. Personally, I like to be out there when the numbers are at their highest in reference to chasing. That for me has been in the latter part of October.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen big bucks then as well, but their numbers are better in November. Therefore, I will be focusing my bowhunting time on latter October rather than paying attention to the rutting moon.