HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Something to consider
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 AM
OldBuckstalker1187
Spike

I have to agree 100%. the longest shot I have ever made at a deer is 147 yards and that was with a shotgun. I have made a 119 yard shot with a rifle, but almost ALL my shots at deer have been under 100 yards. My closest shot was 13 yards. You dont need to make 300 yard shots in the hardwoods. Seldom is there ever an opprotunity for a shot longer than 100 yards "in the woods"anyways. If I had my 30-06 at the edge of a beenfeild and seen a nice buck at 900 yards (IF I COULD SEE IT), Im gonna let him walk....and you can bet I won't be stomping my feet home and complaining how I was undergunned. I never understood someone who says that they are undergunned unless it is for dangerous game. I consider it more of a challenge to scout an area out (and get closer to my game) than to snipe a buck at 1000 yards. This is a topic of taboo and probally will never end. Because there will always be that guy that wants to shoot farther...no matter what gun he had in his hand. I am satisfied with ethical shots that dont take 3 seconds to hit their target. Alot can happen in 3 seconds....like another hunter walking out into the line of fire. But thats just me, I might not be the oldest hunter here on the boards, but I remember when I took my hunter safety course and "safety" was still the key. I was also fortunate enough to be taught how to hunt by an "old time" hunter. He taught me when ethics mattered and chauvanism did not. And that a guy who could draw back his 85 pound bow didn't mean squat at deer camp because he was too busy waxing his string while 4 other guys went out with their old 45-50 pound bows and got the job done.....But call me old fashioned