HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 10 Questions from a new Blackpowder Owner
Old 09-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Big Z
Nontypical Buck

1) is there a "blackpowder bible" or something...

A: plenty o' literature, and a sight search here will answer many questions, though I prefer the "shoot and ask questions later" approach

2) Is the ammunition good?

A: I'd feel confident with 100gr powder and the 200gr shockwave (assuming it shot straight), though I personally shoot the 250gr shockwaves or 240gr XTPs. I'd probably start with 240gr XTPs in that little rifle, as they're cheaper and you probably won't be shooting it very far anyways. Your problem lies in the powder; pellets are more expensive and allow less 'customization' of loads.

3) When loading the Sabot/Bullet what's the best way to do it?

A: Stick the bullet in the sabot, then in the barrel followed by the short starter......

4) Is there anything else that I need to take care of this thing?

A: BP guns are easy to clean. The burnt propellants break down easily with relatively mild solvents. Don't forget your breech plug and the threads inside the barrel with a breech plug brush. Other than that, some grease for the plug, some rem-oil inside and out and she's good.

5) I've seen a few posts here that claim "NO OIL" but I don't understand the reasoning for that.

A?: Gun oil works perfectly fine for storage. However, are you referring to oiling sabots possibly? Don't do it

6) Powder vs Pellets?

A: Powder, no questions...

7) I get the "try different bullets until you find what the gun likes"

A: Powder charge is more important than the bullet, in my experience; though operator error and loose optics are easily 2 of the biggest problems

8) How clean is clean enough?

A: When she's clean, she's clean, and there won't be any guessing whether or not she's still dirty. Then grease/oil/reassemble....done.

9) My other hobby is woodworking and I've always wanted to build a gun.

A: A few guys here have done builds....ask around

10) Any "gotchas" or huge safety concerns that people commonly get caught out on?

A: Basically.....don't use smokeless powder Take your ramrod out of the barrel after loading. Be aware of seating depth. It's been a pretty safe sport lately.

Any advanced questions, I'd probably PM borecleaningweasel