HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flintlock - Traditions Woodsman
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 01:16 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Flintlock - Traditions Woodsman

On a different forum there was all this talk of the Tradition Woodsman Rifles/ So it got me thinking. It's been a while since I shot my woodsman flintlock. I have a lot of work to get done in the yard, but it is a nice day.

I decided that since the person waiting for their rifle to arrive had a 1-48 twist, I would too. So the flintlock it was. I had all the gear and knew the rifle was sighted in dead center at 35 yards. That is because in my woods, 35 yards is about all you can see. Especially in the stand I use flintlocks out of (no cloth blinds to smoke up, instead an old wood floor in a tree).

I decided to shoot at 50 yards, since that is where the target was at. Man that little center is hard to see at that distance.

Shot #1 was on an oiled barrel since I forgot to patch the rifle. Since I can not pop caps through it, I have in the past forgot to patch it clean. So the hit being low, I could not comment on. I was using a 6 o'clock hold on the red dot.

80 grains of Goex 2f and a moose milk patches home cast roundball were shots 2,3, & 4. A real nice group, but low. But then it is sighted in that way. So I thought... what if I kicked the powder charge up a little.

I then loaded 100 grains of Goex 2f and shot 5&6 and they were in the same group. While pleased, I like to hit what I aim at, and I was not aiming to hit under that red dot. So I adjusted my POA covering the red dot as best I could. I then shot #7.

I never could hit with a full cover sight picture. I mean how you going to hit something when you cover it from your sight. But I was not going to change the sight settings as I like the group it shoots just fine.

The speed of this lock is amazing. I was shooting a Agate which has now over 50 shots off it. That ignition was as fast as any percussion cap rifle. And the set trigger and trigger pull on this little Traditions Woodsman is excellent. As long as I balance that little red dot on the front sight. It shoots excellent groups.

We are ready to hunt with that rifle.