HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a Caliber Recomedation
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
Mr Deer hunter you said
Um - my first rifle was a Remington Gamemaster 760 - 35 Remington - and it was a bolt action gun.

If you had a Gamemaster M 760 it was a pump gun and not a bolt action.

I have rifles from 17 HMR to 375 H&H including a 458 Win Mag. I usually hunt with a 7 mag or a 7mm08. I also love the 270 Win for deer size game.If I were to pick one rifle for the type of hunting you mentioned. I'd go with a 30-06. There's all kinds of bullet weights and choices. That cartridge is over 100 years old. It would be obsolete if it wasn't such a versatile cartridge with many uses.
I don't ever remember writing it was a bolt action gun, I might have had a brain fart, but someone on here today was changing my posts - so it wouldn't be hard to believe that someone might have changed my posts.

I have 4 Remington Gamemasters on the rack right now and they always were and always will be a pump action rifle. At the hunting camp I went to - there was 9 Gamemasters on the rack and one Winchester / Ted Williams and all but two of them were 30-06's..

Mine and my dad's which were either 270's or the old 35 from back in the day.

You are right about the 30-06 being the best all around gun for deer and elk and bears with the proper loads. I even used them before for hunting groundhogs.

The funny thing was - the 100th anniversary of the 30-06, Remington came out with a special edition 7600 and model 700 for the anniversary. The one point that no one realized was that the .35 Remington came out the same year as the 30-06, yet no one really made a anniversary gun to commemorate the occasion.
As a matter of fact, Remington came out with a anniversary edition of the 300 Savage and they still have a bunch of them left over at Grice Gun shop that they have been trying to get rid of for the last 3 years.

If they would have made the 7600 in high gloss RKW Walnut stock and forearm and blued finish and not laser etched the stock with the anniversary crap, they would have sold every 30-06 that Remington made to commemorate the occasion in about 3 months instead of 2 1/2 years.