HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food plots or natural food sources?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 09:43 AM
John Deer
Nontypical Buck

Default Food plots or natural food sources?

Since last deer season, I have leased a new piece of hunting property near my home in northeast Oklahoma. On this property which is approx. 950 acres, there is an abundance of persimons because the land owner has not brush-hogged the property in some time and the persimon and blackjack trees are taking over the land. Also, there seems to be a decent amount of acorns on part of the property. I recently planted a 1/2 acre plot of biologic green patch plus mix and have seen some sign that some deer are moving into the plot but not as much as I would like. I also set up a moultree feeder and have been using corn but I haven' t seen any significant results since I put it out about 2 months ago.

My question is this; With persimons and other green browse so abundant in the early fall (bow season) on my property, will the deer first feed on the natural food sources and later come to the food plot and feeder? Is this the norm or the exception? Keep in mind that this is the first time food plots or feeders have been used on the property. I' ll appreciate any advice or suggestions.