HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any whitetail hunters dislike using scoped firearms?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

I use scopes. Love them myself.But I agree some hunter do use the wrong size scope for their hunting needs.I myself think that a well made 6xmagnification and a 42mm objective lens is the perfect up to 500yrds. But I have good eyes. Some people may not and may need a higher power.But when you go that route of higher power you also loose.I like to see where bullets may land at long distances.Distances beyond the target a 6 power scope allows me to do that. I also have a large exit pupil at over 5mm and that gives me enough light to see properly. I also like to look at my target at eye level. I have a harder time the target wth an objective lenses bigger than 42mm.That's just me everybodies different.But I firmly believe most hunters can get by with a 6 power or less and a 40 to 42 mm objective lens for all pratical hunting purposes and distances.I would much rather spend the extra money getting a better make and model in a 1.5 to 6 power varible than getting a lower class and grade make and model in a higher magnification and objective lens for the same money.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.