HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Win 70 classic bad barrel
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
dylan_b
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pioneer2
I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either! Sad customer service to say the least...................A friend bought one of the new Savage accu-stocked .338's and right out of the box 1/2 MOA over and over again...................Harold.........a former Winchester fan!
it sounds strange that there would be chatter marks in a hammer forged barrel but i guess its possible that they used a dirty/dull gundrill, used a bad/thin cutting fluid or ran the reamer to fast. if your gun is made under the old winchester there is a very good chance the barrel was drilled with no coolant to flush the chips, as ive seen barrels with this exact problem. if that is what happened, the beginning of the rifling will be sharp near the chamber but the lands will have ruff patches nearing the muzzle. under the old winchester, gene gunning of selkirk manitoba was the official canadian gunsmith. hes apprently had a brain injury since then so he might not be doing any smith work. good luck with your rifle and i hope it can get fixed somehow