HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Gutting Knife
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

I have had several BUCK Knives and I even gave one away to my brother last year because I had too many of them.

Around 1982, when I graduated from High School, I bought my first hunting knife from Kmart for about $15
The name on the sheath is Sharpe. It has a brown wooden laminate handle, chrome blade - about 6 inches long.

I have probably gutted over 200 deer with that knife.

As a matter of fact, my one brother, who has a good job and can afford any knife he wants, also bought a Sharpe knife after he saw what a nice job my knife does.

The stamping on my blade probably says Made In Japan and his says made in China. I usually sharpen my knife one or two times per a season and I use my knife to butcher meat - one or two deer per a year and it has never left me down.

At one time, I had gotten to the point of where I was so good with it that I could gut out a deer in less then 5 minutes and I didn't even take my coat off.

Cut out the bung hole, cut off the scent glands, open the belly from the anus to the throat. Reach inside and cut the windpipe, pull windpipe away from backbone. Cut the skin around the organs and dump the whole works out of the deer. As long as you have a second person to hold the legs open for you - it isn't a hard job when you have a sharp knife that can cut through the rib cage - which exposes the heart and lungs and windpipe.