HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Been takin care of
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
blackhawk_archery
Typical Buck

This post has a lot of replies,I didn't get on the internet much last year during the hunting season it wasn't a post and run deal,there is several reasons I did not turn the person in,the number one reason being that his kids live mostly off of deer meat,number 2 I did not want to put my own safety at risk,I did have strong evidence because it was a wide 9 point with a broken brow tine,me and my brother had just seen the buck alive 20 minutes before that rubbing a telephone pole next to a cattle feeder,we was actually gutting a deer that my brother had just shot that evening when the poacher had stopped by to ask what he killed,sure enough 10 minutes after the guy leaves we hear a single shot fired from a 22 caliber or a 22 Hornet rifle,later that night I get emails of the buck,my brother had talked to the farmer about it already and the farmer said to call him when he thinks something like this is going on and he will handle it,I myself couldn't turn someone in because as stated earlier his kids would most likely go hungry, I am lucky enough to have private land to hunt but not everyone has the opportunity and are forced to hunt public ground which is usually over hunted and can be days or weeks before you are able to put meat in your freezer and in todays world with the prices at the grocery store and lots of people being cut from there jobs you have to look at the big picture,like is he doing it to take care of his family or is he doing it for the antlers on the deers head,I am not someone who would put someone in a bad situation into a worse situation.I understand the importance of conservation and don't have to poach but if you are hungry and you need the meat I feel like you have that right to do what you have to do,unfortunately it is not always those that are hungry that are doing this, it is also people that only care about the antlers on the deers head which is wrong I agree and in this situation I would turn a person in.I don't know if anything i just typed makes a bit of since but its the way I feel about it.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 09-16-2010 at 10:44 PM.