HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent control?
Thread: Scent control?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 AM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
I'm am a bow hunter!!!! Not to be mean but sometimes it seems like you guys have absolutely no experience in the woods.
I have killed a buck from 20 yards standing on a dead tree about 4 feet off the ground with a bow and no scent control. The buck never knew I was there. Just saying! I will have video proof of how close you can get in the wild with absolutely no scent control other than playing the wind...
Live it up! Doug
Heh, I hear ya. I take reasonable scent control steps (keep my clothing clean and separated in a bin, wash before I go in the woods, etc) but don't go overboard. I've been turkey hunting and have had deer walk 10 yards from me...with no scent control.

I do think, however, that it's more important if you're after a big, mature buck. Small bucks and does don't seem to be as alarmed by relatively minor human scent (ie. you don't need scent lok and all that to get close to them).

Movement and fidgety hunters probably alerts more deer than anything IMO. I've seen more deer react to my movements (e.g. moving my bow, adjusting my position, etc) than to my scent (assuming you've made a few reasonable scent control measures).