HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
demoIL
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Ok.. I wasn't going to post cuz I replies to a few threads already... But have already got a few pm's asking for information.. So here is my post on this subject.

I am by no means a gun expert and not an expert shot either. But I have had quite a few slug guns in my past, some very expensive ones. All have been 12 ga. though..

I recently bought two 20 ga. slug guns. I bought a H&R USH with a thumbhole stock and I bought the newer Savage 220F, black slug gun.

After running through many different kinds of slugs (maybe 10 different) I have found that the Remington Premier Accutip 3" Slugs are shooting the best out of my two guns. Not a surprise on the faster twist Savage, but kind of surprised at the USH being that is has a slower twist rate bbl.

Either way, the H&R is topped with a VXII 3-9x40 and I have the tigger just below 3 lbs. The Savage is topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and I have lapped in the bolt and the accutrigger is breaking just a touch over 3lbs.

The H&R is shooting consistent 1" groups at 100 yards. The Savage 220f is shooting consistent 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I went out today and just zero'd both guns for the deer season this year. I zero'd them at 100 and they both shot about a 1", 3 shot group close enough to center for me.
Only down side it seems like the 20's peter out quickly after 100 yards. I can group at 200 yards but I'm about 13 inches low.

I will post a couple pics of the targets like some have asked. Oh, and these groups are from a bench with sand bags, gun rested on my shoulder. mid 70's, light cross winds...

Pics to follow