HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Butchering your own
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HammytheHunter
I had a question for you guys and gals then. I started skinning my own deer two years ago, but still have a butcher process it. Do those of you that do your own processing... do you have a cooler to hang your deer in?

My biggest concern is that if I attempt to process my deer on my own that the lack of a walk-in cooler would be the biggest issue. Tips?
Never been a problem for me. Like said, get it cooled down quick in the field and as soon as you can butcher it and put it right in the freezer.

I might be cooling it in the way I keep it before butchering. The deer itself is a cooler, I put a bag of ice in the chest cavity until I can get to butchering it. Have had deer in the back of my truck away from home for days and the ice was still there when I got to butchering it, the meat is always hand hurting cold.

Remodeled a house years ago that was a meat market at one time. One of the outside walls still was part of that freezer. All they did was start with a frame and cover it with cardboard, add 3/4" wood
striping and another layer of cardboard until there was 6 layers. Cost nothing as you can get the card board free. I'm sure they just used Ice but anything will do.