HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYBowhunters association hangs with the enemy?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM
W.Ztirem
Spike

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Can somebody explain to me how a guy in the next tree stand or blind negatively impacts my bow hunt just because he is holding an x-bow as opposed to a compound, recurve or longbow?

I'll give you that his chances for taking a deer are a little higher than mine, as he can probably shoot accurately a bit further and he doesn't require as much movement when he shoots, but to oppose him on that basis is clearly a selfish one. That simply says you want more deer for yourself and you look at another hunters success as a bad thing for you.

I'll also give you that the legalization of x-bows may result in more hunters in the woods, but again, if that's the beef its also a selfish one. You think more hunters means more deer taken and therefore less for me. But as someone said, we limit the number of deer taken by the number of permits issued not the weapon.

I just don't see how allowing the next guy to be out there with an x-bow while I'm out there with a long bow hurts my enjoyment of the sport in any way. It's not a competition where fairness mandates that everyone is bound by precisely the same rules. Its a sport where we each pursue our quary in a manner that we choose, keeping in mind courtesy and resect for others out there doing the same.
Syl,

You make "good sense", perhaps the anti crossbow faction should just tell the truth as to why they are opposed to crossbows- "they are afraid of the added competition from crossbow hunters". LMAO