HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blackhorn 209 In Omega... constant hangfires... need a solution.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

hunter235

I cleaned between the shots with Blackhorn 209 solvent, and was getting a lot of thick black powder residue on the patches. Way more powder residue than when I used American Select… which was the cleanest shooting powder I ever used, but was prone to moisture.
This still could be part of your problem. If you are leaving any mositure in the barrel or on the BP you are going to get a partial burn and you will have a lot dark residue in the bore + inconsistent shots and POI's. + the flash channel in the breech plug will fill much quicker with carbon.

In the end when you get this functionig correctly BH will leave less residue than does any other BP sub.

Honestly with BH you do not need to patch the barrel after a shot. Or if you must use 91% alcohol - not just plane rubbing alcohol - and then just a barely damp patch.

If you keep the flash channel in the breech plug clean with a hand twisted drill bit - the Omega will shoot BH just fine in most instances, even with a W209 primer.