HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer behavior
Thread: deer behavior
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
vicrzr
Spike

I've let my bow sit for too long now to pick it up and get my limited skills back in time for the season. Last season I took a shot on a deer - turns out I didn't clear my lane as well as I should have - the arrow hit a the one small branch that was in the lane and deflected. The buck ran about 20 yards away and stopped - after a bunch of sniffing and looking it edged back in another 10 yards. I got another arrow out and shot again - that time I hit it. I'm not sure how far it went in - I saw it sticking out as it ran away. Problem was the shot hit high since it crouched down before leaping away.

I went to look for him but could not find any blood at all. I got my daughter out there the next day with me and she was like a blood hound - found the smallest drops of blood and we followed the trail for a good half mile until it stopped in a pile of downed trees. Found a small pool of blood there - found the arrow a short distance from there along the approaching blood trail. I'm thinking the wound clotted and stopped bleeding because we looked another 2 days and could not find anything after the final blot spot.

Long story short - I'm not too confident with the bow in bringing down a deer - maybe after Ive rifle hunted for a while I'll go back. I've been practicing with my .30-30 and I feel very good about taking one down with that.