HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big name hunters & ethics
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
kswild
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I think everyone determines what a good shot is from their own life experiences and code of ethics. I will not shoot a deer in the head with a bow....you may. I will not shoot a deer running past me with a bow...you may. I don't shoot doves off a light line or tree limb...you may. I'm not that desperate to kill something. If I don't think it's a good shot by my standards then I will not take it. I also will almost never lose an animal. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's rare. I think a person should be responsible enough to give the animal respect and that means a fast, clean kill. I know a gut shot is 100 percent deadly but I wouldn't take it if that was the only shot I had...you may. To me it's not all about the kill at all cost. So like anyone that's hunts....It's my own personal "shot book" that I go by. If you don't believe there isn't a bad shot or an unethical one then we are just on a different page.
Oh I believe there are plenty of bad shots and shots I won't take as well. My intention is not to wound an animal and I do not want to unnecessarily have to track a wounded animal farther than need be because of a bad shot. I said there are lots of ways to hit the vitals, not guts, and just because someone takes shots that others do not does not mean they have a kill at all cost attitude. The reason for hunting is to put food on the table and a quick, clean kill is necessary to be humane and for a quick recovery of your animal. Ethics and killing do not go in the same sentence. Because that's what hunting is, killing, so if it makes you feel better to say I'm and ethical killer (hunter) then so be it.
I have to mention, in my book breaking game laws is unethical, so as long as you are following all the laws where you are hunting you are ethically hunting.
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 08-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.