HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big name hunters & ethics
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Kybuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Yes but what defines a "good shot" in your book is not necessarily a bad shot in my book. There are numerous ways to hit the vitals. The question is who's shot book are you playing by? If you can't make the shot, then don't. Personally I love ANY shot that kills the deer and puts food on the table. Don't know about you, but when I'm hunting there is no one standing over my shoulder saying don't take that shot.... I am the only one who knows the right time to shoot... and all the decision is based on are 2 things, can I make the shot and will it do the job it is suppose to do, end of story. I never even think about what someone else thinks, cares, says, has or has not done before. Take the shots you can make and pass on the ones you can't, it really is as simple as that.
Live it up! Doug
I think everyone determines what a good shot is from their own life experiences and code of ethics. I will not shoot a deer in the head with a bow....you may. I will not shoot a deer running past me with a bow...you may. I don't shoot doves off a light line or tree limb...you may. I'm not that desperate to kill something. If I don't think it's a good shot by my standards then I will not take it. I also will almost never lose an animal. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's rare. I think a person should be responsible enough to give the animal respect and that means a fast, clean kill. I know a gut shot is 100 percent deadly but I wouldn't take it if that was the only shot I had...you may. To me it's not all about the kill at all cost. So like anyone that's hunts....It's my own personal "shot book" that I go by. If you don't believe there isn't a bad shot or an unethical one then we are just on a different page.