HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big name hunters & ethics
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Obiously Fred Echler hoped the gods were smiling down on him...
And even that is conjecture on your part. My "conjecture" is that he's made the shots thousands of times in his life time under practice situations and maybe a couple dozen in real life under field conditions... and he knew what he was doing. I do not believe not once that he launched the arrow in hopes of getting lucky. I do believe with a recurve, because I've competitively and hunted using one, that 35 yards is a do-able shot, but not ideal due to the range and increased probability of a less than ideal shot.

Would I have taken the 35 yard shot under the situation you painted? Hard to say, but if I were practicing several hours a day, like I did back in the day when I was a sponsored shooter,(but shooting then a compound with sights) I most likely may pass if I had a recurve in my hands. I am an optimist and often I let a big racked buck pass that was too far in hopes of seeing him closer down the road. Of course that almost never happens. LOL! With a compound, I've killed every single deer I've shot at, at 45 yards and further, so I have a great track record for long shots. Most would think the shots I took were unethical. I'd call it extremely confident.

I also believe that the "Pros" who've taken long shots and messed it up bad... we never see that footage. I mean, who here has seen footage of a hunter shooting a deer and wounding it with a bad shot to the point the hunter loses it through tracking? Most likely not many at all because that type of footage would only be used against the hunting community by the antis.

iSnipe